The Wide Bay Burnett Conservation Council Inc (WBBCC) is a not for profit community conservation group that specialises in environmental advocacy. We began the organisation in 1975 and have been incorporated since 1993.We work at the legislative level to lobby against environmentally destructive and unsustainable projects and work with government agencies and proponents to negotiate better environmental outcomes for necessary development.
It is our role as a conservation council to lobby for the protection of our regional environment and educate the public on better environmental practices. We use a number of tools to undertake our advocacy work ranging from written and electronic correspondence with State and Federal Governments and their opposition, face to face meetings with Ministers, proponents and stakeholders, to using local, state and national media coverage to voice our concerns and educate the public on a range of issues.
A number of our members represent WBBCC providing environmental advice on many panels and technical working groups such as:
- The Wide Bay Burnett Regional Planning Committee developing the Wide Bay Burnett Regional Plan- run by the Department of Infrastructure and Planning (DIP)
- The Burnett Water Resources Plan- Community Reference Panel, developing a water resources plan that can provide adequate water to all stakeholders and environmental needs into the future
- The Mary River Resource Operations Plan- developing an interim operations plan to address all stakeholders concerns and needs for water in the period before the Mary Water Resources Plan is revised
- The Fraser Coast Regional Council Environmental Advisory Committee
- The Mary River Catchment Coordinating Committee- Stakeholder representative for the Environment
The WBBCC Coordinator attends Environmental Rountable Conferences twice a year with other conservation sector representatives from across Queensland hosted by Minister for Climate Change and Sustainability, Kate Jones. This provides WBBCC with the opportunity to raise critical issues with the Minister while working together with the other representatives to create joint policy positions and share valuable information.
Our Organisation is run by an Executive Committee and a paid Coordinator.
President- Roger Currie
1st Vice-President- Tim Thornton
Secretary- Kerryn Ward
Treasurer- Tony van Kampen
Regional Environment Coordinator- Emma-Kate Currie
WBBCC has 65 Individual Members and 9 Affiliated Group Memberships.
Looking to contact us?
Email (obscured to prevent spam): wbbcc at hotmail dot com
Mobile: 0409 643 895
Postal address: PO Box 694 Maryborough Qld 4650